Tuesday

Alaia Surf Contest?

Someone should organize an alaia surf contest.  Or, in keeping with the natural flavor of alaias, an expression session.  The prizes could be sytlish sculptures carved from wood.  You could also set up a nearby "green" fair and marketplace.  I'd do it myself if I had some free time, but as you can see it is difficult enough for me to try and update this blog once a week or so.

If you are in the San Diego area, I bet Patagonia-Cardiff would sponsor such an event since that shop is the source for all things alaia in San Diego.

The hardest part would probably be coming up with the judging rules and finding judges.  What is a 10-point ride?  Repeated la-la slides down the face of a wave?  Five 360s in rapid succession?  A one-second barrel?  And then, where do you find judges who understand the difficulty of certain maneuvers?  Since this style of surfing is in a renewed infancy right now, people who surf an alaia that well should be in the event, not judging it.

Anyhow, if you organize one, let me know.  I'll give you free advertising space.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the point to judging surfing?

What is the point of surfing? I think we all know the answer.

Keep it as a demonstration session, with no winners, and spread the love.

La La Society member

Matt said...

Thanks for the comment, La La Society Member.

I think I agree with you, having given it more thought. Maybe it should be an expression session, but in the true sense, not as an interlude during a WCT event.

Ciao.

Followers